Singers of Indian cinema have been integral part of Indian movies. They are instrumental in glorifyingIndia’s presence in the international scene. Apart from the actors or actresses in the film industry, the fan lists of the singers are not far behind! Though, they are in the background and never face the camera, they are infact the reason behind the success of any film. Here we bring some tit bit facts of famous Indian singers which are very amazing and interesting.
- The legend singer Lata Mangeshkar has worked with all the top music directors including Naushad, C Ramachandra, S D Burman, Shankar-Jaikishan, Madan Mohan, Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Kalyanji-Anandji, R D Burman, Bappi Lahiri, Anand-Milind, Nadeem-Shravan, Raam Laxman, Jatin Lalit, Ilayaraja and A R Rahman. But she has never worked with O P Nayyar.
- Lata Mangeshkar made her musical debut at the age of 13 to help her family, after her father died. She first entered the Marathi film industry and in 1946 sang her first Hindi film song ‘Aap Ki SevaMain’, composed by Datta Davjekar. But it was the 1949 film ‘Mahal’ which catapulted Lata to fame.
- In 1997, Asha became the first Indian singer to be nominated for the Grammy Award, for Legacy, an album with Ustad Ali Akbar Khan.
- Asha Bhosle recently entered Guiness World Records for the maximum number of recordings in history. She has sung more than 11,000 solo, duet and chorus backed songs in over 20 Indian languages since 1947.
- Asha Bhosle sang her first line in a chorus, “Saawan Aaya Re”, from ‘Chunariyaa (1948)’ under composer Hansraj Bahal. She sang only the words, “Behna Khush Ho Ke Sagan Manaaye”. The other singers were Zohrabai Ambalewali and Geeta Dutt. Her first solo was, “Hain Mauj Mein Apne Begaane” in the movie ‘Raat Ki Rani (1949)”.
- Asha is a successful restaurateur and runs a chain of restaurants in Dubaiand Kuwait, called Asha’s. Which offers traditional north-western Indian cuisine. Asha is also an excellent cook and cooking is her favorite hobby.
- Udit Narayan Jha, popularly kown as Udit Narayan, a multi talented playback singer started off his career with a brief stint with the Nepal Radio. He used to sing Maithili, Nepali and Bhojpuri songs during the 1970’s.
- He also acted in Nepali films Kusume Rumal and Pirati. Udit Narayan has sung more than 15,000 songs in more than 30 different languages in more than 500 Hindi films
- Sonu Nigam began his singing career at the age of three, when he joined his father on stage to sing Mohammad Rafi’s “Kya Hua Tera Vaada, Wo Kasam Wo Irada.
- His first album with his new company Kismat was an astounding success, going platinum in sales. The success of the album also prompted the company to sign him again for a Bhajan album titled Sanskaar.
- The great Pancham Da had selected Sonu Nigam to sing for Ek Ladki Ko Dekha. It happened that during the day when this song was going to be recorded Kumar Sanu was quite late to come in the studio due to which the producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra got quite angry. Pancham Da told young Sonu Nigam that if Kumar Sanu doesn’t come in some more time he will make him sing that song. Sonu Nigam said he was praying that Sanu da didn’t come but unfortunately he did and the rest is history.
- Besides singing, Sonu Niigaam has made his debut in an acting stream as lead hero in 2004 movie ‘Love inNepal’. He recently changed the spelling of his last name from ‘Nigam’ to ‘Niigaam’ in accordance with numerology.
- Sunidhi sang the English song “Reach Out” at the opening ceremony of the 2006 Asian Games atDoha,Qatar.
- She has also sung the songs in the Hindi-dubbed version of Disney Channel Original Movie High School Musical. She sang the songs which were sung by Vanessa Anne Hudgens in the English version.
- She won the R D Burman award for the most promising newcomer at the Filmfare Awards 2001.
- In Feb 2007, as part of marketing campaign and launch of Windows Vista in India, Microsoft hired Sunidhi Chauhan to sing the Windows Vista Song titled ‘Wow is Now’.